China recently released its 13th Five Year Plan. China’s Five Year Plan lays out broad based goals that the country hopes to achieve in the coming years. The most important objectives laid out in the medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and healthcare section include:
- Achieve an overall health insurance participation rate of 95% or higher.
- Increase the number of trained physicians and medical doctors to 2.5 per thousand people (currently there are around 2 doctors per thousand people).
- Develop commercial health insurance as well as supplementary health insurance policies.
- Prevent and control the spread of chronic health diseases such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes.
- Prevent and control the spread of contagious diseases such as AIDs, hepatitis B, and tuberculosis.
- Improve food and drug safety monitoring systems.