Japan Medical Distributor Search
Distributor Search for Medical Devices in Japan
Distributor Search for Pharmaceuticals/Drugs in Japan
The Japanese medical market is currently the largest in Asia, and second largest after the U.S. in the world. However, medical purchasers in Japan put extra focus on quality and reliability. Achieving excellent medical device, drug or equipment sales in Japan almost always requires a Japanese medical distributor with product expertise and connections with key purchasers. Over the last five years, the Japan medical device distributor network has flattened somewhat and now has fewer layers. Optimize your Japan medical device distributor search by working with us and our local office in Japan.
Our years of experience and connections allow us to connect you with the best Japan medical distributor candidates. Through due diligence and thorough examination, we can also qualify a variety of distributor choices.
For Japan medical supplies distribution, we can carry out a multistep process to ensure you sign up the right distributor:
- Locate, qualify, and then select a number of distributor candidates by using our local office in Japan
- Explain your products via phone, e-mail and in-person visits to the distributor candidates
- Interested medical distributors are asked to study the opportunities for your products and write a proposal including their marketing strategy, sales projections, etc.
- If both you and the distributor are satisfied, we will further help you negotiate and sign a contract with the chosen distributor group(s)
- If necessary, we can also meet with the chosen distributor(s) after a distributor contract is signed to monitor their performance, help with challenges they face, etc.
Issues Related to Japan Medical Distributor Search
Marketing Authorization Holder (MAH): All foreign companies selling medical devices in Japan will be required to appoint a MAH. A MAH is responsible for importing products from a manufacturer, ensuring the safety and quality of these products, possibly storing the products in a MAH-licensed establishment and then selling the products to distributors in Japan. The MAH may be either a (1) distributor, (2) third party entity such as PBM or (3) the company may designate themselves as their MAH if they have an office in Japan. Designate PBM as your third party entity or d-MAH in Japan.
Some foreign companies choose to designate their distributor as their MAH in Japan. However, there are disadvantages to using a distributor. First, the foreign company’s confidential information is put at risk, since the distributor must have access to pertinent information, such as details on product development and raw materials. Second, it can be very difficult for a foreign company to change distributors if their current distributor is not performing well. The distributor may be reluctant to hand over the license, especially if the distributor will lose profitable business. The best way to control your distribution in Japan is to have the registration in your name?
Business Priorities: Does the potential medical distributor in Japan understand critical business ideas such as “conflict of interest”? Do they share the same business philosophies as you do? We ask these and other essential questions to help you in your distributor search.
For more information on finding the right distributor in Japan, please see the following PBM publications and/or contact us to discuss your specific needs.
- Japan Medical Device Regulatory Updates 2013
- 2013 Japan Business Culture
- 2012 Japan Medical Device Product Registration and Regulatory Updates
- 2011 Strategies for Success in China, Japan, and India
- 2011 Japan Medical Device Updates
» View More